Saturday, May 16, 2009

May Musings

Mother's Day was such a treat --- the real enjoyment came from seeing the excitement in my girls as they just about burst with joy watching me open their beloved gifts. They are both SUCH givers and find such pleasure in seeing people receive their works of art. I was treated to the best pancake joint in Westcliffe where we then went to church to hear my "preacher" husband give the sermon on marriage. Good stuff.


Soccer continues - this is our last weekend.




Syd is in the green going for the attack.


Emily after practice.


This spring we are attempting to start a garden. I have the guidance of one of the valley's best gardeners which is a good thing since I barely know how to plant a seed. This is the beginning of our plot. Still need to work in the manure - won't be able to start planting until the last week of May. We also aquired chickens this spring. What? I know, I don't know what we were thinking except that I will be thankful come fall when I have free access to all the eggs I could ever want. Pictures of the coop will come on the next post... here is a shot of them when they were chicks. They are now 5 times the size and have quite the appetite. Scraps, anyone?





One of the major signs it's spring around here is when our creek begins to run. Last Sunday, we heard the wonderful sound of water running. Yeah!



It wouldn't be the end of school with out field trips. Here are a few shots of Syd at the zoo with her friends and some wily beasts.




The highlight of my week during the school year is on Tuesday mornings when 5 other moms meet to pray for our kids and our school. It is officially called Moms in Touch and it is such a rich time. We pray scripture over our kids and for each teacher by name through out the year. It is also fun to be able to bless the staff in different ways, mainly through providing meals during staff meetings. If you are mom out there with kids in public school, see if there is a local chapter at your school - it is well worth your time.


And finally, I will leave you with some photography by my 10 year old. She went out behind our house a few weeks ago and I must say, I was impressed!





2 comments:

Joe, Jenn, Nathan, and William said...

no way she's 10, no way...

ojchase said...

I did a double take on those because I thought for a moment that you were in our (old) house! The view is awfully similar. As it turns out, we used to own the house immediately to your east along the creek. I wasn't aware the former people in yours had left.